tisdag 1 januari 2013

Me and Earl and the Dying girl

Title: Me and Earl and the Dying girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Published: 2012
Publishers: Amulet books
Pages:
Other books by the author:
None
Re-read: No
Up until senior year, Greg has maintained total social invisibility. He only has one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time--when not playing video games and avoiding Earl's terrifying brothers-- making movies, their own versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics. Greg would be the first one to tell you his movies are f*@$ing terrible, but he and Earl don't make them for other people. Until Rachel.Rachel has leukemia, and Greg's mom gets the genius idea that Greg should befriend her. Against his better judgment and despite his extreme awkwardness, he does. When Rachel decides to stop treatment, Greg and Earl make her a movie, and Greg must abandon invisibility and make a stand.
                                                                                                                                 

Sadly,this book disapointed me. I thought it'd be hilarious and beautiful,and I loved the cover, but no. The book,it just wasn't as I thought.
The humour Greg had - the things that was supposed to make you laugh - they didn't make me laugh.

Greg was a pretty boring person to follow,and the voice in the book was sarcastic. I like sarcastic - trust me,I love sarcastic - but his sarcasm felt so..I don't know,boring?
Sometimes,he was funny. Like when he made up some different phone call ideas/conversations in his head.

I do that pretty often(conversations in my head) so it was something I could see myself in.
But still,he is and boring character who just looks down at himself and everything,and I don't like
 that! It's not that he think that he sucks or something(well,sometimes actually he does).

The fact that I don't remember so much about Earl except his family probably says a lot - but I must say that he was my fav. character and I kinda don't remember him anymore.And that says a lot about the book - it isn't something that edges and stay in your head - you read it and then that was that!

Rachel,well I remember that she had leukemia and that she felt boring and clingy. The story of her is "no i don't wanna be your friend! Okay let's be best friends you! Nonono you can't leave me her alone! I wanna suffer alone" and so..

Urgh.. 

The book wasn't even sad! When Rachel died mostly felt like "oh,that's too bad but yeah well,Greg said it in the beginnig" and that was the end of it!

The language was like .. nah.. I said that it was too sarcastic and boring and the jokes wasn't fun at all. It was Jesse's debut book and you don't wanna crush it too much,but I didn't enjoy the language. But it was easy to read and yeah,a fast read!

The story wasn't so interesting either,it was most "oh,she have cancer..let's make a movie to her because that's her last wish or something". If you want a really sad and beautiful and fun cancer book - read TFiOS. It has everything and it makes you laugh even though it's a sad book about cancer!
I know I didn't enjoy this book so much,but everyone else seems love it so you guys should probably give it a shot - who knows,you may love it! It's just that I didn't.

On goodreads,I gave this book 3/5,but now a time after I've reflected more,and no. The cover is the best thing about this book and that's just sad.


2/5 - It was ok but not that good..

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar